green light recs: how we reveal recommendations
At ChicagoOnStage.com, we are theatre people, which means we take lighting seriously.
OK, clearly we don't always do so since we're being a bit silly right now, but the fact is that traffic lights seem to us to be the perfect metaphor for recommending plays. They are simple; they are universally understood, and they come in just three varieties: green for GO to this show, red for STOP and think before going, and yellow for, well, exactly what we do with them in real life. May well be a decent show too, but you need to read the review: there is a reason we don't simply recommend it outright. We all get this so quickly: why has no one done this before?
We're going to use this simple three-color method of alerting you to our opinions. With each review, a graphic of a streetlight will appear, along with traditional stars. And even if you don't read it, you'll get the message.
is our recommendation shorthand!
As for what's playing overall, our Current Shows Highlights Page breaks shows down into genres to help you to find what you want and our Show Updates Page lets you know what is about to close or open. For a complete list of current and upcoming Chicago productions, we invite you go to chicagoplays.com, which has kindly allowed us to link their pages.
And for those who feel the desperately need stars:
Currently Recommended (Green Light) Shows
- The Cake ★★★½
- The Gentleman Caller ★★★★
- Ghosts of War ★★★
- Hamilton ★★★★
- How I Learned to Drive★★★★
- Letters Home ★★★★
- Oklahoma! ★★★★
- Pretty Woman ★★★½
- Red Bowl at the Jeffs ★★★★
- The Rosenkranz Mysteries ★★★½
- Smart People ★★★½
- Spitfire Grill ★★★★
- Southern Gothic ★★★★
- A Taste of Things to Come ★★★
- Women Laughing Alone Eating Salad ★★★★
Currently Playing Yellow Light Shows
- Hang Man ★★
While there are plenty of shows in this category out there, we have only a limited number of shows to see and we have been fortunate not to run into many of them. Rest assured, we'll let you know as we do. For a discussion of why most shows here will always be greenlighted, see this musing.
Currently Playing Red Light Shows
Scheduled To Be Reviewed
- The Gentleman Caller (Raven)
- The Rosencrantz Mysteries (Royal George)
- Mary's Wedding (First Folio)
- Round Heads and Pointed Heads (Red Tape)
- Bad Girls: The Stylists (Akvavit)
- Red Bowl at the Jeffs (The Sound)
- How I Learned to Drive (Artistic Home)
- The Doppelganger (Steppenwolf)
- An Ideal Husband (Ghostlight)
- Songs For a New World (Dominican University)
- Little Match Girl Passion (Facility)
- 9 to 5 (Firebrand)
- Our Great Tchaikovsky (Steppenwolf)
- Oklahoma (Marriott)
- The Cake (Rivendell)
- Raised in Captivity (Right Brain Project)
- Once (Paramount)
- The Explorers Club (Citadel)
- The Madres (Teatro Vista)
MUSICAL VIDEO OF THE MOMENT
Our Musical Video of the Week is the result of a vote on our Facebook Page. Go there to vote for next week's video!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JAa3ncDQxYI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen>screen">